- The National Hazard Management Council (HMCI), of which the Chief Education Officer (CEO) is a member, meets to consider if a weather system poses a serious threat to the Cayman Islands.
- Once the HMCI feels a storm system warrants such action as closing of schools, an announcement is made through local radio stations and CITN.
- At the same time that this announcement is being made, school principals alert school bus operators.
- If the announcement for school closings is issued during school hours, teachers will advise students and school buses will transport children home.
- If the announcement for school closings is issued prior to the start of the school day because of overnight developments, it will normally be issued by 6 a.m. In that event, school buses will generally not run.
- Once schools have been closed, it is important that children stay indoors.
- Advise your friends and others around you to listen to official news releases on local radio and television stations only. Overseas media may not have the most up-to-date information on weather affecting the Cayman Islands.
Last Updated: 2010-08-15